Today I spent most of the day on the phone to local companies trying to chase down some kind of support for the project after we found out yesterday that we do not have access to any funding or materials. Tasha had already sent out a few emails to companies the afternoon before but we had not received any responses apart from a phone call from Trespa asking for further details on how much material they would be required to donate. Deciding to start with the big corporations down, I got in touch with Mini who unfortunately would not let me talk to anybody about the project as they have a no-name policy so they told me to get the request in writing. A little while later I managed to track down Charles Parrack to ask his advice on charitable construction material companies. He recommended a few to try:


Oxford Wood Recycling Project
Unfortunately they are not able to lend a hand in this instance. They do not have big enough resources to support a project of this size.


Orinoco Scrap Shop
A gem of a find! This small scrap shop is full to the brim with old stuff that people don't want any more. Because it is so close to uni I went down to the shop on my way home to ask a few questions and see what they have in stock. The man who would be able to help me, John Stacey, will be back in from Tuesday so I am to give them a ring back and they should be able to support us in some way. Seems positive..


Buildbase
Recommended by Orinoco, Buildbase are are a trades warehouse in Cowley. I was told they may have scrap out the back which we could pick up but when I rang up it seemed they are more efficient these days and don't produce much waste. However, I rang back a few hours later to talk to the manager, Alan Walker, and he seemed to think he could assist the project in some way when it came to it. Just have to keep them informed.


Timbnet
Although initially elusive, Timbnet have proven to be our most positive sponsorship potential. Tasha received an email the next day confirming that they would be happy to sponsor us and enquiring as to how much timber we would need. Just have to work out these cladding areas now.


Freecycle
Joined the Oxford group and posted a message asking for construction materials or support. So far only one reply suggesting the cladding design be the most environmentally friendly school facade in the UK as a stimulus for greater consideration to schools across the country.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.